[EM] Why RP(m) won't find the best candidate

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:34:46 PST 2002

I've had to be away from the computer for a while. I haven't yet
had a chance to look at the many interesting postings about
finding the best candidate, and right now I have just enough time
to post this quick note:

My objection to Blake's notion of the best candidate has been that
he didn't define it in terms of anything else, but says that
it's possible to say that it's the absolute best.

Best candidate needs an operational definition, a definition that
, at least in principle, is usable, at least in a thought-experiment.

I'm going to post some suggestions about such a definition within
a few days, after I've read the "best candidate" postings that
have been posted since I was last on the computer. Maybe my
suggestions have already been posted by someone else.

But my point today is that, even if we have an operational definition
of "best", then, if that definition is any good, Blake's
Ranked-Pairs(margins) won't find the best in public political elections.

RP(m) causes insincere voting. It forces defensive strategic voting,
and it tempts offensive stategic voting. The notion of it finding
the best candidate depends on sincere voting.

And if we assume sincere voting, then as has been pointed out,
CR is what finds the best candidate. Borda is best if rankings must
be used, if everyone votes sincerely.

Another thing, Blake is mistaken to assume that the people's ballots
point to the best candidate, even if there is one:

Have you ever known the American people, during your lifetime, to
elect the best person. Have you ever known them to do other than to
elect one of the 2 or 3 worst candidates? I mean, in terms of your
own notion of "best".

And don't say "George Washington", or "Abe Lincoln". I don't know
who else was running then, and we're more interested in present
& future elections.

Mike Ossipoff