[EM] Summabililty, manipulability

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 20:45:04 PST 2002

Markus said:

Of course, when I say that Nurmi and Bartholdi say that the more
summable an election method is the more manipulable it is, then this
doesn't mean that I say that this position is right simply because
they say so. However, you consider it so obvious that summability
was desirable that you can only despise those who disagree with you.

I reply:

First, I hope that I've clarified why I say that the journal-authors'
evaluation of strategy based on their notion of "manipulability"
isn't at all useful in regards to strategy considerations that concern
voters and reformers.

Summability desirable? Yes it is, because unsummable methods are
much more trouble to count, and their added count-complication invites
more opportunities for count fraud during the count process.

Again, though, I never said that I despised the academic authors
who demonstrate that they're all confused about strategy. I merely
said that they have their heads up their ass.

You might want to suggest to them that there's surely some other
area in which they could be more useful.

Mike Ossipoff