[EM] 02/02/02 - Alexander, don't get stuck in a `Time Warp':

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Sat Feb 2 00:14:02 PST 2002

02/02/02 - Alexander, don't get stuck in a `Time Warp':

Dear Alexander Small,

I am one who holds the belief that IRVing is the best possible method for
single seat elections, fear not, no one is going to eat you first born.
Because you have only been interested in alternative elections methods for
a short time, it is understandable that you may favor Approval Voting or
Broda Count or Condorcet.  The cuteness of the ABC methods can be addictive
on first exposer.  You should grow out of it in time.

If you are of normal intelligence, then sometime in you life you will come
full circle and return to IRVing.  Most do, but some get stuck in a `Time
Warp' and never get beyond the mire of the ABC methods.  A few of the
people on this backwater EM list are suffering that condition, which should
make you feel at home for now.  `Me thinks' they like the way these three
methods deceive the voters.

So, save your $15 and have some respect for others.  Those people at CVD
have every right to support any method they chose to support.  Likewise you
have the same rights, so go join some group that supports what you
currently believe to be the best method.  If you have no special favorite
and are mostly anti-IRV then you could join MikeO's `Merry Band' that is
working to cut IRVing off at the pass and save the free world for Ralph
Nader.  MikeO is our resident `Old War Horse", but I digress.

Anyway, why should the CVD change their position to suit you?  What's so
special about you that the CVD should march to your drumbeat?  Over the
years, a few fools from this list have tried to do what you propose, but
with little if any success, and rightly so.

The CVD is a functioning body, they are on the move and marching to their
own drumbeat.  You and the fools are the ones that are out of step.

Don't get stuck in a `Time Warp' and end up like some on this EM list.

Regards, Donald Davison