[EM] Americans for Approval Voting

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 21 11:02:55 PST 2002

> Craig Carey said:
> > Would Rock flinch or pause, if asked to put online an artists depiction
> > of an Approval ballot paper that shows what the paper looks like when
> > there are at least 34 (or 25 or more) candidates competing ?.

> Alex replied:
> It won't look any worse than a ballot for any other election method.  What
> would a preferential ballot look like for 25 or more candidates?

I don't have a ballot paper for an IRV election but I can supply a copy of
preferential ballot paper with 32 candidates for 15 places (STV-PR) .  I don't
think I can post it here, but I could scan it and send a picture as an attachment
on request.

The longest candidate list I know for an STV-PR election is 441 candidates.  It
was for the first election to the UK Central Council for Nursing, Midwifery and
Health Visiting in 1983.  I don't know how many elected places there were on that
Council (now superseded), but 61,715 registered nurses, midwives and health
visitors voted in that election.  There were 129 candidates for 7 elected places
on the successor body in 1996.

James

----