[EM] Americans for Approval Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Dec 21 10:26:18 PST 2002

Sorry Craig, but seems like you are asking a useless question - what makes
you dream that Approval voting will result in candidates turning up in
wholesale quantities?

True that, while it does not give voters the power of Condorcet, Approval
is a bit better than Plurality, for voters can vote for more than one
candidate, avoiding the spoiler problem, but:
      Does not complicate ballot papers if, as such are usually formatted,
voters simply checked a single box in Plurality - and can check multiple
boxes in Approval.
      A race is still to elect a single mayor, governor, or dog catcher.
      Candidate still needs something, usually campaigning, to get winning
votes.
     There still is likely to be a limit on quantity of candidates.  New
York State often has a theoretical limit of 20 (candidate must get
signatures from 5% of the voters eligible to sign).  Practical limit is
lower than theoretical for:  some refuse to sign any, some refuse to sign
yours, another candidate got this voter's signature already.

Dave Ketchum

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026

----