[EM] Sports and 'The Condorcet Mindset'

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Mon Dec 2 14:44:20 PST 2002

Well, with IRV, you could only manipulate the outcome if you had
near-perfect information on the votes of other people, otherwise your as
likely to undo your own strategy as fulfill it.

Borda, by comparison, can be "utterly" manipulated with no information,
since you can bury someone all the way down to the bottom rung with impact.

Condorcet, by comparison, (if i understand correctly) doesn't really care
about how far beneath A one ranked B, just that A is over B.

Speaking of "fulfill"

The CORRECT translation from the French (according to "Practical Unix
Security" published by O'Reilly & Assoc) is
"Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to fulfill it."
-Georges Santayana, Life of Reason