[EM] 12/18/02 - Re: Best method in use?

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Wed Dec 18 01:17:41 PST 2002

12/18/02 - Re: Best method in use?

Hi Mike,

Donald here, the best methods in use around the world today are as follows:

Single-Seat elections:
     First Best - Alternative Vote aka Irving aka IRV:
    Second Best - Top Two Runoff (only valid for three candidates):

Multi-Seat elections:
     First Best - Open Party List with Hare Quota and no enforced threshold:
    Second Best - Preference Voting/STV (they all use the Droop Qouta):

District Multi-Seat elections:
     First Best - Top Up Mixed Member Proportional Representation (MMP or MMPR):
    Second Best - There is no second Best.
    MMP is head and shoulders above any other district method in use today.
No other district method comes close to matching the party proportionality
results of MMP:

Regards, Donald