[EM] MCA in use

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 16:20:42 PDT 2002

Recall that in MCA (Majority Choice Approval), the voter rates each
candidate as preferred (or ‘highly desired’: two checks), accepted (one
check), or unacceptable (no checks, blank).  If at least one candidate is
rated by a majority (50% or more) of the voters as preferred, then the
winner is the candidate with the highest number of preferred votes;
otherwise, the winner is the candidate with the highest number of approved -
i.e. preferred or accepted - votes.

About a month ago, I was party to an unwitting but apt use of what amounts
to MCA.

I was one of ten members on a committee to screen and recommend candidates
for a vacant clergy position.  Working in subcommittees, we had reviewed
about 30 resumes, briefly interviewed about 15 candidates, and followed on
with five of these - call them A, B, C, D, E.  At our invitation, two very
promising candidates, A and B, had visited the congregation for a weekend.

Time came for our committee to make a recommendation - preferably
affirmative, but with contingency planning - to the congregation's board of
directors.  The procedure we followed was at the insistence of one committee
member, a professor of management.

We first considered - independently for each of candidates A-E - whether the
candidate was acceptable.  We found - to nobody's big surprise - that A and
B were each acceptable to a large majority - B slightly more than A - and
that each of the others was acceptable only to a minority.

We then considered whether either of A or B could be rated as highly
desirable.  We found that most of us were highly enthused for A, but that
few of us were highly enthused for B.  So we readily decided to recommend A,
with B as an acceptable backup in case A could not be hired.

Our process could readily have been formalized as an MCA election among
candidates A-E.  Under usual Approval, B would have won; but in effect we
followed MCA, making A the clear winner.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA