[EM] election-utility strategy

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Apr 29 22:04:33 PDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Richard Moore wrote:

<snip>

> I think in non-zero-info cases, if the inference is based on each
> candidate's probable vote totals and margin of error from a reliable
> Approval-style poll, then the inference is supported by statistical
> evidence,

[etc.]

This brings up the question of what kind of information to try to get from
polls.

What if the polls could tell us (for each i and j) what percentage of the
voters approve both candidates i and j.  If that percentage is not close
to the product of the percentages of approval for i and approval for j, it
would tell us that that approval for i and j are statistically related;
perhaps the nature of this relationship might be useful information for
approval strategy.

This information wouldn't require additional questionaires, only summing
n*(n-1)/2 combinations from each existing questionaire (where n is the
number of candidates).

Forest

----