RE: [EM] Gerrymander story- Economist

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 29 11:53:15 PDT 2002

I wonder when they'll be able to say "Alex is in apartment 22 and
registered with this party, and the guy in apt. 21 is a different party, so
let's draw the line between those units."

Even better "This husband and wife are opposite parties.  Since he sleeps
on the left side of the bed and has his office on the west side of the
house we'll put the 3rd district boundary between his home office and the
staircase.  That way his wife is in the 4th district."

Or, why not just assign us to voter blocs based on our party registration?
If the state's population is 55% Democrat then every bloc has 55%
Democrats.  Maybe also segregate the blocs by race so the pre-determined
outcomes at least have the pretense of racial fairness....

(the above is totally sarcastic)

----