The Allure of IRV

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 26 15:46:19 PDT 2002

Mike has well made the case that, compared with other reform methods,
Approval solves at least 80% of the problems at next to 0% of the cost.

By comparison, the great unwashed public - like me not all that long ago -
will be baffled and dismayed to learn that not only do various rank methods
exist, including Borda and Condorcet, but that the latter is not really a
single superior method at all but is instead a plethora of methods.  Their
only obvious common feature is that IF there is a Condorcet Winner (CW) THEN
she/he will be the electoral winner.

So, in case (as may well have been true for the 2000 US Pres election) there
is no CW, you then need a 'completion' method - which opens up the debate
all over again.  IRVites might argue for IRV-completion.  I would have to
argue for Approval-completion.  In any case, the case gets too complicated.

Moreover, on what grounds is the CW necessarily to be preferred to the
Approval winner?  Some examples illustrate otherwise.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach, CA USA