[EM] Action

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Mon Apr 8 11:19:10 PDT 2002

A few points, sorry the order is so screwy.

1. I want a 3 line summary, a 1 paragraph summary, a 1 page summary, and the
report, all in .pdf, and I want them yesterday :)

2. I really like the name "VOTER CHOICE". Could we vote on it? :)

3. I could probably translate to .pdf for us (Perl has some create PDF
modules, never tried them, though).

4. I WOULD think, without any clear reason, that we want to avoid parallels
with Eastern Europe, and, to an extent, Australia. E. Europe recently has
placed many of the former Communists in power. Now, the reason the
Communists regained power has nothing to do with the voting system, but, we
shouldn't aim to make that connection in the public's mind (Voting Systems
== Communism). I see no clear reason to avoid OR point to Australia,
personally.

5. RE: Australia's IRV and "Breaking the duopoly"... I don't like the
Duopoly, you don't like it, but the goal is not to break it. The goal is to
enhance voter choice. The results are, and should be, up to the voters. If
they want to turn America into a one-party State, that's their right.

6. I think a good paper will include lots of historical stuff in one two
page section. I may just have an over-fondness for this topic. I do think
the "Hamilton's Math Sucked" and the "National Academy of Sciences answered
all doubts" aspects of the Apportionment story  are relevant. I also think
they are interesting, which is a much more personal assessment.

7. I can't endorse Hager.

8. I think we should not emphasize the way this method would have changed
races in ANY ANY ANY recent races. We should have the data on hand, but we
should not say "See, look, Gore would have won" or "See, look, Clinton would
have lost in 1992". Injecting partisanship might end up working, despite
what I think.