[EM] Interesting article

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Wed Apr 3 07:35:19 PST 2002

This article was about a small (pop 10K) town in CT where the new residents
(wealthy) democratically voted for a very large bond issue to improve the
already notable local school system. The author contends that Democracy
failed the long time residents, whom he refers to as "Swamp Yankees."

It's true! If all the rich people move to one town, Democracy can work for
them.

Elsewhere in America, they'll have to buy politicians.

80% of political donations in the US come from the top one quarter of one
percent wealthiest.

Corporations outspend Labor by 10-to-1.

Actually, only Aristocratic societies need "Welfare." You'll see the
beginning of massive social programs with the election of America's 20th
Century Aristocrat, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

I find it a great irony that GOP tax policy exacerbates the conditions which
create demand for welfare, and vice-versa.

The other irony is the whole Chickenhawk thing with the GOP.