[EM] Access to voting booths

Arnold B. Urken aurken at choicelogic.com
Thu Apr 18 12:39:58 PDT 2002

Hello,

Does anyone know about sources that describe customs or regulations governing
what happens when a voter voluntarily brings another person into a voting
booth?  I have heard stories about keeping kids out when the voting machines
might be messed up by malicious or playful actions. I can understand this in
the case of electronic devices (if the power is not kid-proof), but I don't
think the justification is reasonable for marking a ballot or pulling a lever.

This issue is also relevant to the question of validating contracts in vote
trades. Is there any law or custom that prevents bringing an observer into the
voting booth? Observers might be certified (like notary publics) to verify that
votes were cast according to contract.

Thanks in advance.

Arnie Urken

Hoboken, NJ 07030