[EM] Lincoln; Big money, gerrymanders, rotten EC, etc.

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 11:46:31 PDT 2002

First of all, some disagreement with DEMOREP.  Then, some agreement.

DEMOREP writes (Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:23:55 EDT):

"NO apologies to the late Prez A. Lincoln --- see his unreality speech at
Gettysburg, PA, Nov. 1863. --- taking note that his minority rule
gerrymander election in 1860 helped produce about 620,000 dead in the
1861-1865 Civil War."

DEMOREP here argues instances of two fallacies: ad-hominem and
post-hoc-ergo-propter-hoc.  I believe apologies ARE due the memory of
Lincoln.

First of all (re: ad hominem), why was it Lincoln's fault (or indeed
anyone's) that he was elected by 'minority' rule: i.e., a plurality which
happened not to be a majority?  A few IRVites to the contrary, there really
are situations where NO articulated position or available candidate is
supported by a majority.  And was indeed the Gettysburg address any more
'unreality' than a typical public speech?

Second (re: post-hoc) and more important, did in fact Lincoln's election
guarantee an otherwise avoidable Civil War and an otherwise avoidable
620,000 dead?

At the moment I hold a rather non-revisionist Yankee-oriented view.  Namely,
that Lincoln was in fact a moderate Yankee who really tried to save the
Union above all.  That he had a good mix of personal ambition and commitment
to mission and principle.  That the country was permanently better off for
being kept indisputably united.  That had Lincoln not fought for the Union,
a later Prez or a later polity - perhaps involving various confederations of
states and various pro- and anti-slavery mafias - would have stumbled or
been forced into one or more even bloodier confrontations, lasting maybe
15-25 years rather than a mere 4.  That had Lincoln not been assassinated
... we might indeed have had a crucial four years of 'malice toward none,
charity for all' that might well have spared us a century of excesses - Jim
Crow, carpet-bagging, 1876 Hayes-Tilden capers and their example for 2000
Bush-Gore, etc. etc. That 'squatter-sovereign' Douglas had shown himself
ready and suited to indefinitely more of the indecisive slavery-toleration
that had already wasted ten precious years since the 1850 California
'Compromise' which in the bargain had already given us a startup Civil War
in bleeding Kansas.

Please reread Gettysburg and Second Inaugural addresses: maybe self-serving
but also truly high-minded - and quite REAL too.

Having said all that about Lincoln, I want to register my AGREEMENT with
DEMOREP on the actual matters at hand:  electoral college, gerrymanders,
undue influence of big money, etc. etc.

I despair of easy solution, but one new (for me) tack continues to urge
itself:  reduce or eliminate the role of PERMANENT or anyhow
PRE-IDENTIFIABLE power centers - parties, bosses, small office-holding
elites.  We may thus reduce or eliminate incentives and pathways for
big-money infusions and for gerrymanders.

One part of the overall mechanism would be to reduce the role of usual
elections altogether - at least for choosing office-holders as vs resolving
issues.  Maybe choose legislatures as we choose juries - by lot from voter
rolls - or anyhow choose candidates by lot, followed by speedy PAV election.
  Maybe also fill by lot executive and judicial positions, or anyhow thus
get candidates (with speedy election by AV), from among those who pass
suitable qualifying exams. (Yes, OK, unavoidably maybe, there might well be
some litigations as to which proposed exams were truly suitable.)  Make
terms just long enough to enable necessary business to get done.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA