[EM] the poll

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 13 20:58:48 PDT 2002

Stephane wrote:

However I cannot start with approval for two reasons:
- I did not participate to your previous poll

I reply:

Of course that, by itself, is a reason, because you aren't bound
by decisions made before you arrived.

Stephan continued:

and
cannot check if anyone packed the electorate

I reply:

That wouldn't have been possible, because every voter had to send
his ballot to me and to Rob LG, and have his name on it.
Someone tried to cast an anonymous ballot, and it was thrown out.

Signed ballots prevent the voting of more than 1 ballot. The
electorate was EM. I suppose that members preferring a certain method
could busily recruit many who agree with them to join the
list. But everyone who voted had been a member of
EM before the poll was discussed.

So our result was entirely legitimate.

But obviously EM's choice of Approval doesn't bind anyone outside
EM to accept it as a starting method.

Stephane continued:

Please subscribe to the Electoral_systems_designers:

I'll do so tomorrow at the latest.

Stephan continued:

Once registered please send me a web reference that I will add to my
"Candidate" list description for the single-winner contest.

I reply:

I don't know if all those are defined at a website, but they're
defined in recent EM messages, and we could put those at your
poll-website.

Stephan continued:

Finally, about your vote, after Candidature announcement,
I ask you to use a friend as relay.
so I will receive 2 votes from 2 nobodys to begin with,
the goal WAS to try to ensure secracy (I do not care but I know
others do).

I reply:

You mean, have my vote relayed from a different e-mail address to
keep my vote anonymous? But I don't care about anonymity for me,
so couldn't I just send my ballot directly?

A FPTP ballot--I hate FPTP, but I'll send one, after I check your
poll-website & register.

But what about Adam's question: Are we voting for ideal best method,
or for best public proposal at the current time?

How about doing balloting in both categories, as we did in last
year's EM poll? I suggest doing it that way. "Ideal best" means
ideal best of those proposals that are suitable for public proposal.
Maybe the _really_ ideally best methods are so complicated that they
couldn't be public proposals. To me, the best Condorcet versions are
the ideal best among the methods that could be public proposals.

Ok, so the first balloting has to be FPTP?  Voting system reform advocatges
hate FPTP, but here's my ballot:

My vote isn't secret. In the ideal best category I vote for
BeatpathWinner(wv)/CSSD. In the best public proposal at the current time
category, I vote for Approval.

Mike Ossipoff