[EM] Regarding the poll

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 22:05:56 PDT 2002

I should add that Ranked-Pairs can sometimes require a way of
dealing with equal defeats during its count. It isn't difficult though.

If 2 or more defeats have the same strength, then if their strength
is even, then the defeat considered the strongest is the one whose
defeating alternative's nomination-name is alphabetized earliest.

If their strength is odd, then the defeat considered the strongest is
the one whose nomination-name is alphabetized the latest.

And if both defeats have the same defeating candidate, then
use the defeated candidate of the defeats, rather than the defeating
candidates, for the above rules.

For instance if A beats B & C, and those defeats are equal, then
if they're even then A>B is stronger, since B is alphabetized before C,
and if the defeats' strength is odd, then A>C is stronger, since C
alphabetizes after B.

Another thing:

I believe that Stephane said that there'd be a count as soon as there
are 3 voters. It's occurred to me that it would be prudent to
vote for Bucklin too, under the conditions where I said I'd vote
for all of my nominees but Bucklin. So I'd like to change my vote
in that way.

Also, I rembember now that Stephane said that the votes were to be
sent directly to him rather than being posted to EM, but both of the
1st 2 voters, including me, forgot that.

Anyway, Stephane, what's the result of the 1st count? Do you agree that
it should be by Approval? Should we wait for a nomination period before
considering the votes final and counting them? If so, then of course
that nomination period needn't be repeated for subsequent ballotings
in the sequence of ballotings.

Mike Ossipoff