[EM] 04/12/02 - Re: Hare-Davison:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Fri Apr 12 03:52:26 PDT 2002

04/12/02 - Re: Hare-Davison:

Stéphane wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:28:12 -0400
From: Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon <stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca>
To: Donald Davison <donald at mich.com>
Subject: Hare-Davison

> [Don]  * The voter is allowed to rank both candidates and/or
> parties together in any mix.

[?] "...on his or her unique ballot."

Donald: While I do not know whose quote this is, I do know that it is not
from me.  Anyway, `unique' is not the proper word to be using.  The word
means: Like no other.  The voters will all have ballots that are the same,
not an unique ballot for each voter.

Stéphane: "This is what is not totally clear for a new reader like me:
on a unique [single] ballot, or on two ballots (one for parties and one for
candidates) ?"

Donald: On a single ballot.  The names of all the candidates plus the names
of all the parties are in one list.  The voter is free to rank as many of
these names as he cares to rank.

Stéphane: "I assume you meant, on a unique [single] Ballot, like:
Party A
1st Candidate for A
1st Candidate for C
Party C
1st Candidate for B
2nd Candidate for A
... and I truncate the rest."

Donald: Yes, your ranking of candidates and parties in any mix is proper
and after the election, each party and each candidate will have an `unique'
sum of votes which will not be combined together except for the transfer of
surplus votes and the transfer of votes of eliminated candidates.

Stéphane: "Honestly it seems wacco (weird) to me."

Donald: It is different, but it gives the voter greater choice.  People who
are not informed about the candidates should not vote for candidates, but
these people most likely are informed about which parties they like, if so,
then they should be free to vote for party.  In this way the party votes
will support the party candidates that will be selected by the informed
voters.  The public should end up with a better quality of elected members.

Stéphane: "But maybe useful. I will have to read again your proposal with
a different perspective."

Donald: Very useful.

>  * The candidate to be eliminated shall be the lowest candidate
>    of the party with the lowest average votes per candidate.
>  * The quota will be the Hare quota.

> After the casting of ballots, when all the votes are counted
> according to the first choice on each ballot, we will have
> vote sums headed by each candidate and each of their parties.
> Independent candidates will not have a party vote sum, they
> will only have a vote sum headed by themselves.

Stéphane: "Again it is not clear if my vote went to Party A, or if
I voted for both Party A and its 1st Candidate on the first round.
Please help me to understand before I continue further..."

Stéphane Rouillon.

Donald: If you vote for Party A on your first choice, then your vote goes
to Party A on the first count of the ballots.  If you vote for the `first
candidate of Party A' on your first choice, then your vote goes to the
`first candidate of Party A' on the first count of the ballots.

Regards,
   Donald Davison, host of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald
                        Candidate Election Methods
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                        Q U O T A T I O N                          |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |        except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."   |
   |                           - Age 10 -                              |
    APV   Approval Voting
    ATV   Alternative Vote  aka  IRV Instant Runoff Voting  aka  IRVing
    FPTP  First Past The Post  aka  Plurality
    NOTA  None of the Above  aka  RON Re-Open Nominations
    STV   Single Transferable Vote  aka  Preference Voting  aka  Choice Voting
          aka  Hare Clarke  aka  Hare Preferential Voting

Please be advised that sending email to me allows me to quote from it
and/or forward the entire email to others.