Approval discussion

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 23:14:34 PDT 2002

Richard said:

I like the recent idea of the Approval Nash equilibrium winner being
the CW, even if it isn't strictly true.

I reply:

But is anyone saying that that is true? Alex said that there can
be equilibria other than the CW. I said that in all situations with
a CW, there is an equilibrium in which the CW wins and no one
order-reverses, with Approval.

Richard continued:

However, there is a difference between
extrapolating Approval voting Nash equilibria when all voted
preferences are known

I reply:

The assumption, at least my assumption, has been that
voters know eachother's sincere preferences before the election,
but not their votes, which surely aren't known till
after the election.

As I was suggesting, it would be interesting if someone would
study the voting systems in a probability-info election.

Mike Ossipoff