[EM] Winning-votes intuitive?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Apr 1 10:26:49 PST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 01:04:43 EST DEMOREP1 at aol.com wrote:

> Adam wrote in part-
>
> One final thought.  on 3/20 I posted a message about Approval Completed
> Condorcet.  The idea was to use a graded ballot (ABCDEF, for example).  If
> there was not a Condorcet winner, then the candidate with the most approval
> votes (A's, B's, and C's in the case of ABCDEF ballots) wins the
> election.  In my initial analysis, this method seemed at least as good as
> the other Condorcet methods we like to discuss.  Furthermore, it seems like
> it could be an easier method to pitch, since the cycle-breaker is VERY
> intuitive.  So I guess what I'm asking is... does ACC render this whole
> debate meaningless?  Just a thought.
> ---
> D- I noted ACMA long ago -
>
> Approval
> Concorcet
> Most Approved tiebreaker (if no Condorcet winner).
>
> Approval by itself is defective since it does not rank the Approved choices.
>
> Condorcet by itself is defective since it does not indicate that a choice is
> approved.

I choke on Adam's words for not adequately using the information Condorcet
procedures develop; and do not see DEMOREP1 really offering a solution.

For example, just picking out the Smith set normally gets a tolerable
length list of possible winners.  Usually there would be enough
differences within the set to make a valid decision.

If the best that can be done with Condorcet data leaves a tie, then it
matters little what is used as a tie breaker, provided it is reproducible
(no human or computer going off in a corner and tossing a coin), so
letting Approval pick among what have been identified as the possible
winners would be acceptable.
--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026