[EM] IRV inconsistency

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue May 15 18:28:29 PDT 2001

Markus,

I would like to see an example where the Condorcet winner is B in
precincts 1 and 2, yet the combined ballots make A the Condorcet winner.

It seems to me that if B is preferred by majorities y1 > x1 and y2 > x2 in
the respective precincts, then B is preferred to A in the combined
election by a majority of y1+y2 > x1+x2.

Perhaps you are referring to the case where there is no Condorcet winner
according to one or more of the three counts (precinct 1, precinct 2, or
combined).

If so, that is perfectly understandable, not to be considered in the same
class as IRV's inconsistency, which pretends to discern definite winners
in every case, and which still fouls up, whether or not there is a
definite Condorcet winner in each precinct.

Precinct 1:

3 ABC
4 BAC
6 CBA

Precinct 2:

8 ABC
5 BAC
4 CBA

Combined:

11 ABC
9  BAC
10 CBA

B is the CW in all three counts, and the IRV winner in the two precinct
counts, but not the IRV winner in the combined count.

Note that C has a majority of last place votes in each precinct, and so
has no chance of winning, yet A is first eliminated in precinct 1, and B
is first eliminated in the combined count. IRV is too myopic to see that C
should be the first candidate eliminated in every case by any reasonable
standard of elimination.

As Richard says, IRV ignores and trashes valuable information willy nilly
and still pretends to come up with a top notch winner. All of IRV's
shortcomings can be traced back to this wasting of information.

It's like throwing away energy at random and still pretending to be a
perpetual motion machine. The first law of thermodynamics says you cannot
afford to throw away energy if you want perpetual motion. The second
law says even saving every possible erg of energy in insufficient.  These
laws together constitute a kind of Arrow impossibility theorem of physics.

When there is no Condorcet winner in either of the precincts (or in the
dominant precinct) then there is a fundamental ambiguity (i.e. lack of
information) that even preserving all of the available information may not
resolve except by combining the results, which may give a surer result,
but not always one that is totally without ambiguity. This does not
contradict common sense.

This is analogous to the fact that Condorcet methods violate the Reverse
Symmetry Criterion, but not in the gross way that IRV does, and that
Condorcet methods violate the IIAC, but not in the gross way that IRV
does. It is only in the fundamentally ambiguous (no CW) cases that
Condorcet methods fail these criteria, while IRV fails without provocation
or mitigating circumstances, as I have shown in other postings.

Forest