[EM] IRV inconsistency

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Tue May 15 01:19:10 PDT 2001

Dear participants,

Bart Ingles wrote (14 May 2001):
> The property not being met here is actually called "consistency", if
> I'm not mistaken.  Approval, Plurality, and Borda are consistent, but
> not many others.  Maybe some variants of those three.

Actually, the consistency criterion and the Condorcet criterion are
incompatible.

******

Richard Moore wrote (14 May 2001):
> Another consequence of the summability failure is that reporting IRV
> results will be very complicated. At least for Condorcet you could
> publish the overall pairwise matrix (and also the pairwise matrices for
> individual counties or precincts or whatever the desired resolution is).

I guess that IRV supporters will say that --for a voter to see what his
vote did-- it is sufficient to publish the votes of each IRV step.

Markus Schulze

FFrom election-methods-list-request at eskimo.com  Tue May 15 16:48:56 2001