[EM] SFC _does_ mention CW

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 11 08:18:46 PDT 2001

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> With wv methods, a group consisting of a majority of all the voters
> can ensure that a lesser-evil (B) won't win, without applying any
> strategy whatsoever, without doing other than sincerely ranking
> all the candidates, provided that they prefer the sincere CW to B,
> and that falsification doesn't occur on a scale sufficient to change
> the election outcome.

"and that falsification doesn't occur on a scale sufficient to change
the election outcome"

I'm not convinced this is a useful change... in fact, it seems like a
tautology, unless I misunderstand it. It seems that it would be true if
even a single falsified vote causes SFC to fail, and it would be true if
no matter how many falsified votes there are, SFC won't fail.

Example of former: the method which discovers the sincere CW from an
oracle, and elects the sincere CW provided that nobody falsifies, and
otherwise elects the devil as a punishment.
Example of latter: the method which ignores the votes as voted, and just
elects the sincere CW.