[EM] SFC _does_ mention CW

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 19:51:46 PDT 2001

I spoke incorrectly yesterday when I said that none of the defensive
strategy criteria mention the CW. SFC mentions the sincere CW.
GSFC mentions the sincere Smith set.

Here's what these criteria guarantee for a complying method (wv methods):

With wv methods, a group consisting of a majority of all the voters
can ensure that a lesser-evil (B) won't win, without applying any
strategy whatsoever, without doing other than sincerely ranking
all the candidates, provided that they prefer the sincere CW to B,
and that falsification doesn't occur on a scale sufficient to change
the election outcome.

Or (GSFC), instead of the sincere CW, it could be a certain member of
the sincere Smith set, provided that B doesn't belong to the sincere
Smith set.

The Margies claim that they don't think those are valuable guarantees.

****

By the way, though, if you wanted similar criteria worded without mention
of a CW or Smith set, then you could say:

SFC2:

If a majority of all the voters prefer A to B, and vote sincerely,
and no one falsifies a preference (or falsification doesn't occur on
a scale sufficient to change the election result), then B won't win,
with a complying method (wv methods), provided that no candidate is
voted over A by a majority of the voters.

GSFC2:

If A belongs to a set of candidates none of whom have anyone outside
the set voted over them by a majority of the voters, and if B doesn't
belong to that set, then if a majority of all the voters prefer A to
B, and vote sincerely, and no one falsifies, then B won't win, with
a complyinig method.

I prefer the versions that I've been using, the ones that mention the
sincere CW and the sincere Smith set.

It's neater & more convenient to say "if no one falsifies", than
to say "if falsification doesn't occur on a scale sufficient to change
the outcome".

The former is enough to exclude all but the wv methods. The latter
is, in practice, enough to ensure the wv methods' SFC guarantee. I use
it for simplicity.

Mike Ossipoff