Tyranny of the Majority

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon May 7 10:04:16 PDT 2001

Mr. Simmons wrote-

For this reason, I don't consider it sufficient that the majority have its
way.
----
D- Either the majority or the minority has its way (since unanimous votes are
few and far between) (pending utopia wherein nobody interferes in the life,
liberty or property of anybody else).

The current U.S.A. Congress and State legislature regimes in the U.S.A. are
gerrymander Tyranny of the Minority regimes (taken from the gerrymander
minority rule regime of the English/ U.K. House of Commons dating from the
1200's --- a mere 700 plus years ago) and carried over to the old pre-1776
English/U.K. colonies and States in 1776).

I note again that *democratic* p.r. methods only came along in the 1840's.
Old regimes hang on long beyond the time that they should have expired --
such as divine right of kings (which keeps coming up in the form of so-called
strong leaders/ dictators in many countries -- mainly due to the political
fact of life that the legislative bodies in many such countries are obviously
evil oligarchies.).

Since there have been NO indirect majority rule U.S.A. Congresses or State
Legislatures, it is somewhat stretching things to be attacking something
(democracy and indirect majority rule in such bodies) which has never existed.