Tyranny of the Majority

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Sun May 6 16:04:57 PDT 2001

>> From: Martin Harper <mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk>
>> Subject: Re: Tyranny of the Majority

Your post, quoted below, pretty much says it.  To many
people, democracy is a matter of trying to grab power, and
the largest mob makes whatever rules suit it.

Regarding the danger of getting into political debate, I
think politics has to be considered, if not debated.
Elections often have political consequences.  I noticed there
was some reaction to Forest's mention of the political
considerations, but I think that's just the nature of
political elections, and any inquiry into the nature of
utility must take the political consequences into account.