Tyranny of the Majority

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun May 6 10:36:24 PDT 2001

>> D- How often do > 50 percent majorities tyrannize themselves
>> (for decades or centuries) as compared to thousands of
>> years of tyranny by monarchies / oligarchies ???

Mr. Simmons wrote-
How often do absolute monarchs tyrannize themselves?

D- Never. They tyrannize others.  Ask all the dead bodies killed by Kaiser
Wilhelm, Lenin, Hitler, Stalin and Mao, for example.
See The Outline of History by H.G. Wells for the tyrannical machinations of
all sorts of monarchies and oligarchies over the centuries.

Mr. Simmons wrote-
Here's the question I would ask:  Does the majority tend to tyrannize the
minority?

D- Only if the laws are not equal on their face (and in reality) and not
equally enforced by executive and judicial officers)--- two very major
separate problems (connected somewhat indirectly to election methods for the
officers involved).