[EM] number of ways to vote a ranked ballot.

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 1 13:59:36 PDT 2001

Excellent. Thanks both of you for your help. :)

In case anyone is interested, I plugged that into Excel to calculate the
first 25 results, and played around with formulas for a while: I settled
on B(N)= int( N! x exp(N*B) x C ). With B=0.3666 and C=0.7213 (aprox).
With the correct values of B and C I could fit to the first ten values
perfectly. It began to overestimate from 11-25 by 10^7 or so, but that
may well have been just inaccuracy in the spreadsheet's floating point
calculations.

For 25 candidates, ranking with draws allows about 10^29 ways of marking
a ballot paper, whereas without draws allows about 10^25 - so there's
little difference between the two compared to the difference from
Approval's 10^7 and Plurality's 25...

Thanks again.