[EM] Approval Runoff

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue May 1 13:05:01 PDT 2001

I would like to make a couple of suggestions relating to Approval Runoff
that address your questions.

1. The natural ballots for Instant Approval Runoff are Dyadic Approval
Ballots. At each stage of the runoff the coarsest remaining inequality is
the current approval cutoff.

Remember that on Dyadic Approval Ballots every category of approval or
disapproval may be further divided by a finer inequality than the one
delineating the category itself, thus providing the approval cutoff that
would apply if all were eliminated from the race except the members of
that category. example: A > B >> C >>> D > E >> F > G >>>> H >> I > J .
The coarsest inequality is the one found between G and H. If H, I , and J
are all eliminated but candidates on both sides of the >>> inequality
between C and D still remain, then that inequality is the current approval
cutoff.

2. However, for most practical purposes all that is needed is a way to
choose pairwise between the two candidates with the best approval scores,
as in the experience you described below. Dyadic Approval ballots are not
needed for this. This is easy to do when either rankings or ratings are
available.

On either style ballot include MAC (Minimal Acceptable Candidate) as one
of the candidates. The rank or rating received by this virtual candidate
marks the approval cutoff for that ballot. After the approval scores have
been calculated, a head-to-head comparison between the two candidates with
the highest approval is made using the rankings or ratings.

3. Another use of these ranked or rated ballots with MAC is (my version
of) Demorep's ACLA (Approval Condorcet Least Approval) method. First
eliminate all of the candidates with below 50% approval (unless this
leaves none, in which case proclaim the one with greatest approval to be
the winner). Then among the candidates with more than 50% approval find
the Condorcet winner if there is one. If not, eliminate candidates one by
one on the basis of least approval until there is a Condorcet winner among
the remaining candidates. (In the almost impossible event that it comes
down to two candidates with both head-to-head and Approval ties, then use
random ballot or some other traditional tie breaker.)

I hope that you can use the ideas behind these methods to customize a
method for your own purposes. I am interested to hear about what you come
up with.

Forest