[EM] Unranked IRV versus Approval - where do winners diverge?

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Thu Mar 29 01:19:37 PST 2001

As I've discovered UIRV does diverge from Approval in a very small
proportion of elections (2% of random ones anyway).

You're right it would be silly to take a complex method if it ALWAYS give
the same results as a simple one. I was hoping perhaps they were the same
since that might show Approval full votes don't matter. Being that they do
diverge, we have a chance to compare two methods on unranked ballots and
consider which better fits within our idea of a better winner.

Please do post about FBC.

Mainly I offer UIRV as a method that fits within the single-vote system that
we now use.

Tom