[EM] One vote per voter

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 22:12:25 PST 2001

Forrest wrote:

Hey I like that. I've never put it that way, and it hadn't occurred to
me. I've spoken of Approval as a point system, but this approach
shows that Approval can't even be criticized in terms of the Plurality
1-person-1-vote interpretation.

But putting it in terms of one vote that is divided up, someone could
say they want to be able to divide or concentrate it among the candidates
however they wish, and of course that would just give us Plurality.

Only one vote per candidate from a voter sounds familiar, and one could
say "What's wrong with, instead of 'One person one vote', 'One person
one equal supply of votes, of which one may use as many as one wishes?"

The fact that we'd still be calling them whole votes helps avoid the
complaint that someone can't concentrate it all on one candidate, since
people are used to the idea that they can't give anyone more than 1
vote.