[EM] One vote per voter

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Mar 24 14:50:16 PST 2001

Besides the excellent points made by Anthony I would like to add a couple
of others.

In the second round of a runoff, the voters get to either repeat their
first vote or vote for someone else, all for the same office in the same
election. So if IRV doesn't violate the slogan, then neither does
Approval.

If I'm not mistaken, the slogan "one man, one vote" reached its pinnacle
in the context of reapportionment. Up until the Baker vs ( ? ) decision of
the Supreme Court some urban congressional districts had populations
several times larger than some of the rural districts. (Someone on this EM
list should know the details.)

Anyway, in that context the slogan meant the right to proportional
representation, as much as the right for each eligible citizen to submit
a ballot.

Forest