[EM] One vote per voter

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Sat Mar 24 10:55:41 PST 2001

>> From: Tom Ruen <tomruen at itascacg.com>
>> Subject: Re: [EM] One vote per voter

>> Anthony,

>> I appreciate your defense for approval. I'm
>> not surrendering full-vote Approval as a good
>> concept. I agree with your defense for one
>> vote per candidate in approval.

Well, I'm not sure I was defending approval so
much as just questioning some of the arguments I
sometimes hear.

>> Plurality and approval are different systems
>> and I don't think you can ever judge that one
>> is right and the other wrong. They are simply
>> different.

>> These are all "one vote per voter per
>> election" systems. The tricky part is how to
>> combine subelection results to pick a winner.
>> Only Plurality is really, one-person, one
>> vote.

Like I said, depends on how you look at it.
Plurality could be seen as a system in which you
must vote yes on one candidate and no on the
rest, so once again, you have as many votes as
candidates; they just aren't independent.  My
feeling is that such questions render themselves
moot, and should therefore be avoided entirely.

>> I'm leaving town in a couple hours but I hope
>> for some more opinions from EM when I return
>> on Monday.

I doubt you will be disappointed.