[EM] Multiple Winners Revisted

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 15 13:21:38 PST 2001

Well, I like pottering about with multiple winners, though I don't like
expressing preferences. On a practical level I favour STV methods, but if
you want more sophisticated and slightly more fair methods then I think
hybrid Condorcet methods appeal the most. What do I mean? Well, say
there's 5 candidates A-E with 2 to be elected. One conducts a preference
election and using some choice of a counting method one conducts
"sub-elections" amongst-

ABC; and
ABD; and
ABE; and
ACD; and
ACE; and
ADE; and
BCD; and
BCE; and
BDE; and
CDE.

Say the set BC wins all the sub-elections that include it (ABC,BCD,BCE).
Then BC is a hybrid Condorcet winning set. Problems that can arise- as in
single-winner Condorcet, there might not be a hybrid Condorcet winning
set; and there can be multiple hybrid Condorcet winning sets (say, BC and
DE). Resolving those problems to determine a final winning set in all
cases is a bit of a doozy. One way to resolve multiple winning sets, for
instance, might be to compare the possible winning sets in additional
sub-elections, say, if BC and DE are possible winning sets, BCDE. If there
were 6 candidates, A-F, and AB, CD and EF were all possible winning sets,
then the additional sub-elections would be ABCD, ABEF and CDEF.

OK- so that's the pie-in-the sky stuff. If you're unsure about
implementing STV completely, with redistributions, exclusions (not
necessarily random!), etc. you could try a quota preferential election
with candidates allocating their surplus. Exclusions would still be
necessary, but ties are rare and can usually easily be resolved (and not
always randomly!). If you're still worried about something even that
non-complex, I'd recommend a reverse d'Hondt style method. Start with the
nc candidates in the election and apply a quota of 1/(nc-1) the votes.
Redistribute surpluses either by votes or using candidate's instructions.
Exclude the candidate who doesn't make a quota, even after redistribution.
Then do the same with a quota of 1/(nc-2) of the votes and continue until
the quota's 1/(ne+1) the votes where ne is the number to be elected.

I don't think STV is difficult at all. I come from a country and am a
member of an organisation where STV is used frequently and counted
quickly. The most inefficient election I've ever witnessed was an 8-winner
FPTP election with about 30,000 votes that took 4 hours to count in a
small booth (~1500 votes) and took more than a week to be finalised.