[EM] Condorcet, Same Ranks, Ties

Steve Barney BARNES99 at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Thu Mar 15 13:38:21 PST 2001

Thu, 15 Mar 2001, "Moe St. Evergreen" <evergreen at lovemail.com> wrote:
[...]
>I am also waiting, (perhaps paradoxically) to see a system that
>minimizes arbitrary/random tie breaking, as I feel arbitrary/random
>is very hard to keep from being corrupt, and thus very hard to argue
>for, especially in the US. Even using plurality to tie break, or a
>Borda Count, would likely be more acceptable to arbitrary/random.
[...]

How about a method which elects the pairwise comparison winner only
if there are no ties in the tally, and electing the Borda Count
winner otherwise? This would eliminate some cycles from PW
comparisons, which are the source of the inordinate amont of tied PW
outcomes.
-Steve Barney <BARNES99 at uwosh.edu>