[EM]

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Mar 14 12:31:49 PST 2001

Dear Hugo,

I suggest getting a preference ballot from each official involved in the
determination of the ballot order.

Have them order the candidates by preference and, in addition, indicate
the boundary line between approved and unapproved candidates.

Use the approval scores to get a preliminary order.

This may be good enough.  If the officials don't like Approval as much as
Condorcet, then continue by Bubble Sorting the preliminary order with
respect to Condorcet.

By Bubble sorting I mean any method of sorting that only tests adjacent
pairs (no skipping around as in merge sorting).

Here's a recursive description of Bubble sorting:

To sort a list of N candidates, recursively sort the top N-1 candidates,
and then let the bottom candidate percolate up the list until someone
beats her head-to-head.

I call this method (and variations of it) Approval Seeded Condorcet.

I hope you like it.

Forest

P.S. I'm looking for a good Sabbatical opportunity, especially if there is
an opportunity to work on election methods as part of the work. My wife
speaks French fluently. I'm limited to English and Spanish. We want our
five-year-old twins to have language exposure before much more time
passes.  My wife has been teaching them, but they need to be immersed in
the culture. I could learn French in a couple of weeks if I put my mind to
it.