[EM] Approval election example

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 16:55:03 PST 2001

> > I like the idea of a demonstration poll, but voting on which months
> > are best is difficult, it seems to me. It's something that many
> > people don't have an opinion on.
>
>... which probably will make the pattern of results more appealing, seeing
>as though votes will be more diffuse.

But isn't voting a matter of social choice? How can there be a social
choice among the months. Each of the months arrives each year, and
we can't vote which one we'll have. That's why pizza toppings,
ice cream flavors, list-manners solutions, or voting systems are more
the kind of issues that lend themselves to a poll. They're things that
a group of people could easily have reason to choose between by
voting.

Yes, there are popularity polls too. Best business of some specified
type, most popular highschool student, etc. But those have the output
of actually awarding a prized distinction to a person or business,
an entity that campaigns for that prize.

Only if we were building an artificial habitat, like the one built
in the desert some years ago, and voting on which of the months we
wanted to copy for the habitat's year-round climate, would I be
able to understand a vote on which month is best.

So far there are 4 nominations, in addition to months:

Two that are about list issues:

2. list manners solutions
3. voting systems

And two that are about matters that are less controversial or
contested here:

4. pizza toppings
5. ice cream flavors

Quite possibly the less controversial latter 2 would be more desirable
polling issues. People might be more reluctant to vote on something
that involves actual list business, and possible actual consequences,
or which deals with the issues argued on the list. I'll probably vote
for the latter 2 over the former two.

Mike Ossipoff

Mike Ossipoff

Mike Ossipoff