[EM] Approval election example

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 18:10:12 PST 2001

I like the idea of a demonstration poll, but voting on which months
are best is difficult, it seems to me. It's something that many
people don't have an opinion on.

If we want to hold a demonstration poll, I suggest that we first
vote on what the poll will be about. The subject of the poll is
itself a legitimate issue to vote on.

You might want to nominate months, or you might want to change
your nomination. Anyone who has a suggestion should post it as
a nomination for the topic of the demonstration poll. The first
poll, then, should be to choose the topic of the poll, and the 2nd poll is
about the issue chosen in the 1st poll.

It might be good to use the demonstration poll to deal with an
actual EM issue. So my issue nomination is: What to do about
offensive participation on EM that disregards the ground-rules
specified at the EM website? Of course the poll wouldn't have
authority on that matter, but the output of the poll could be
regarded as a membership petition. Each alternative in that poll
would specify whether it is intended as a membership petition,
or just a membership resolution, or just an expressed membership
opinion.

I suggest that that poll be conducted
Voter's Choice, since there isn't complete agreement on EM about
voting systems. Of course no one need vote more than 1 kind of
balloting unless they prefer to.

In fact, why not use Voter's Choice for the poll to choose the
polling issue too, for the same reason? That would demonstrate
more than one voting system.

Of course, whatever polling issue wins the initial poll, nominations
should then be taken for alternatives for that issue.

Of course another poll topic for EM would be a poll about which
voting system is the best public proposal, or the best voting system.

I nominate that too. We took such a poll years ago, and PC &
Smith//PC won. That was before SSD or BeatpathWinner had been
proposed here.

Mike Ossipoff