[EM] Approval election example

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Mar 9 23:46:17 PST 2001

Tom Ruen wrote:

> How a winner is picked:
>   1. If no month has majority approval, a plurality winner will be declared.
>   2. Assume there would be a runoff election if more than one month have
> majority approval.

Tom,

Excellent idea, and I intend to participate.

I have a problem with rule #2, though.  If you add a runoff election,
the method is no longer the one known as 'approval voting'.  The runoff
introduces a potential strategy problem, and in any case I am not aware
of anyone either using or advocating approval voting combined with a
runoff.

For purpose of this demonstration, though, I am assuming that the first
stage (pre-runoff) results will be made available.  I doubt that the
runoff rule will have much effect on voter strategy in this case, so the
first round will probably be a decent demonstration of approval voting.

I have been studying approval voting for the past couple of years, and
would be happy to discuss the matter further, or to provide additional
information, either on or off this list.

Regards,
Bart Ingles