[EM] Approval-Seeded SP meets WDSC

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 18:23:56 PST 2001

Approval-Seeded SP meets WDSC. What I'd missed was the fact that,
because it uses Approval to determine the order of the pairwise
comparisons, a majority has the power to ensure that A will get
a better Approval score than B will, merely by voting for A (and everyone
whom they like more), and not for B.

Since B has a lower Approval score than A does, B can't win SP without
going against A, whom he can't beat, since (by WDSC's premise),
a majority prefer A to him.

But Approval-Seeded SP doesn't meet SFC or FBC.

Those are difficult criteria to meet, and only a few methods meet them.
Approval meets FBC, and Condorcet meets SFC (and in at least some versions,
GSFC & SDSC).

That's why, so far, apparently no other method can match the merit
of Approval and Condorcet.

Tom's Elimination Cumulative (as I call it), doesn't meet FBC or SFC
either.

Approval & Condorcet are as popular as they are because nothing has
matched them yet.

Mike Ossipoff