[EM] Misdemenor vote indecision

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 18:36:03 PST 2001

>D- I note again that changing votes is a very major election felony.

But changing how you intend to vote, surely that's only a misdemenor.
X, it later turns out, was going to lose. But then I decided to rank
X last instead of first, and he won. No one has tampered with ballots.
No one has peeked at the ballot-box. The rankings were reported after
the election.

It's better if the method's result doesn't react oppositely to
a change in someone's vote. It's better if your car doesn't turn left
when you turn the steering wheel to the right.

>Hardly a surprise --- since changing starting conditions routinely can
>change
>the results

But there's a difference between results that change in accordance with
a vote change, and results that change oppositely to a vote change.

>In other words, a whole lot of the criteria floating around are quite
>criminal --- (ballots changed- changed results, ballots removed- changed
>results, ballots added- changed results).

Arrest that undecided voter!

Mike Ossipoff