[EM] Poll nominations till day after tomorrow?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:18:50 PST 2001

No one has nominated any new poll topics during the past 24 hours.

Earlier I asked if it should be 24 or 48 hours without nominations
that ends the nomination period. How about this suggestion, which
sounds better to me?:

When no one has nominated anything during a 24 hour period, then
we designate the following day as the last day for nominations.
That avoids the nomination period ending without warning, after only
24 hours of no nominations. But it brings the nomination period to
an end when the nominations are obviously ceasing to come in.

So let's say that nominations can be made for poll topic till the
midnight that ends March 18th, California time. I'm not using
California time for any chauvenistic reason. It's just that Greenwich
midnight happens earlier than California midnight. Australia, being
across the dateline, has its 3/18 midnight much earlier, rather than later
than California.

So California midnight is later, making for a longer last day for
nominations.

So far these are the nominations, but let me know if I've missed one or
more:

A. Months
B. List Conduct Petition
C. Voting Systems
D. Pizza Toppings
E. Ice Cream Flavors
F. TV shows
G. Movies
H. Presidential Candidates of 2000.
I. Multiwinner systems
J. Restaurant menu selections
K. Minimum voting age
L. Historical figures to bring via time-machine
M. Nonpresidential Nicknames

Mike Ossipoff