Relative power

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 06:32:38 PDT 2001

Mr. Moore wrote-

I'm not meaning to criticize the power indices you were
discussing. The Natapoff "index" was flawed becasue it was
based not on pivotal probabilities of voters in a given
state but on the probability that there *is* a pivotal vote
somewhere in the country for a given election. But having a
pivotal vote turn up somewhere in Florida does little for my
voting power here on the west coast. And that pivotal vote
doesn't really belong to one voter anyway. If the vote went
5000000 to 4999999, then each of 5000000 voters had a tiny
fraction of a pivotal vote.
---
D- Obviously if Voter X  has looked in the ballot box before the end of
voting (a major election felony) and noted that things are tied, then Voter X
can have 100 percent of the power to determine what happens in the election.

Various criteria play games with replays of close elections where only Voter
X is aware of what the other voters have done.

Note the recent machinations in the U.S. Senate when it was tied 50 D - 50 R
(with the R Vice President tie-breaker) (now 50 D, 49 R, 1 *Independent*).

Who would be the last Senators to vote (if they knew the voting results of
the other Senators) ???