[EM] List PR

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jun 18 11:17:12 PDT 2001

Excellent insights into Craig's list PR method!

Also see below for a suggested modification inspired by your insights.

Forest

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Bart Ingles wrote:

> I like it.  It looks as though in the non-partisan case (or one where
> there is exactly one candidate from each party), the system equates to
> cumulative voting.  But at the opposite end, where all candidates belong
> to a single party, it's equivalent to approval voting.
>
> Or at least a multi-winner form of approval voting.

That is a non-PR multiwinner form of Approval voting.

This fact suggests also using the d'Hondt count within each list to decide
which of the list's candidates get to fill the seats won by the list
(party).

Then if there is only one list, the election will reduce to sequential
PAV, maintaining the PR status of the election.

>  But in that case it
> seems like it would be in the interest of at least some of the party
> members to split the party.

What about allowing parties to submit multiple lists with the party name
on them without actually splitting the party?

If the lists are small enough, then it will be feasible to use full PAV
within each list to pick the candidates that will fill the seats won by
that list.

If there were only one person on each list, then as you say, the whole
election would just be cumulative voting PR.

How about a rule that says no party can have more than five lists in a
five winner election?