[EM] List PR

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jun 14 13:57:26 PDT 2001

Here's a (long winded) response to the last paragraph in Craig's great
posting below:

Suppose that there are ten seats in a chamber to be filled by open list PR
election, and that five parties P1, P2, ... P5 have lists of candidates on
the ballot.

Suppose that P5 gets only four percent of the vote. Then their share of
the ten seats is roughly .04*10, less than half a seat, so I assume that
this party gets no seat.

Suppose further, that there are a million (10^6) voters, and that the top
candidate on the P5 list got the entire vote for that list (40 thousand
votes), and no other candidate on any other list got more than a few
hundred votes.

Under Craig's rules this would be extremely unlikely since voters are
allowed to approve as many candidates as they like.  It would mean that
most voters voted for a list rather than for candidates on the list,
except in the case of P5.

So this example makes me lean towards saying that "above line voting"
should either be prohibited entirely or else it should be construed as
approving each and every candidate on the party's list.

Either of these two modifications would forestall the (somewhat
embarrassing) situation brought up by my example.

The more I think about Craig's idea, the more I like it.

Forest