List PR

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 23:06:48 PDT 2001

Mr. Layton wrote in part-

List PR is very simple, and using a d'Hondt count will result in better

proportionality than any other method (aside from methods with variable

voting power).  The problem is always the method of deciding which

candidates from each party get elected.
---
D- A vote for a partisan candidate might be deemed obviously as a vote for
both the party and for him/her.

One variant might allow the voters to vote the number of each candidate in
rank order.

1    12
2     5
3     9
etc.

One variant would allow the candidates to transfer some or all of the votes
(above or below the Hare quota involved) they receive from the voters
according to a pre-election rank order list.

I mention again -- in these *modern* times of *modern* communication, the
question is whether to have more or less government control of everybody's
life, liberty or property.

In other words legislative bodies do not have to be too large.

However without variable voting there are some obvious problems with small
sized legislative bodies as to which party gets the fractional seats.

I note again that the Method of Equal Proportions is currently used to
apportion U.S.A. Representative seats among the U.S.A. States based on their
Census populations.

With computers in widespread use, I fail to see why variable voting cannot be
used in ALL public legislative bodies (to get *accurate* results).