[EM] List PR

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jun 13 16:30:25 PDT 2001

I've been thinking about ways to improve list proportional representation.
I generally like STV for public elections, but it has a number of drawbacks,
and is not always viable.

List PR is very simple, and using a d'Hondt count will result in better
proportionality than any other method (aside from methods with variable
voting power).  The problem is always the method of deciding which
candidates from each party get elected.

This is my first thought - it is a free list method, where voters can mark a
single box corresponding to a single party.  A regular d'Hondt count is used
to determine how many seats each party is awarded.  However, voters have the
option of voting "below the line" for candidates, rather than parties.  A
voter can vote for as many candidates as they like.  A voter's vote is
divided amoung the parties proportional to the number of candidates they
vote for in each party.  ie If a voter votes for 2 candidates in party A, 1
candidate in party B & 1 candidate in party C, party A gets .5 of a vote,
and parties B & C .25 each.  These fractional amounts are added to the above
the line (whole) votes to determine how many seats each party gets.  Seats
are then awarded to the candidates in each party with the most below the
line votes.

So, parties are elected based on plurality/cumulative type voting, and
individual candidates using what basically amounts to approval.

It might even be better to avoid the above the line voting totally, and only
have voting for candidates, but I've not yet decided on that.  Thoughts?