[EM] Quitting list after a few final replies.

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Mon Jun 4 20:31:13 PDT 2001

The EM list has been time-consuming for me so, like Mike,
I was also considering dropping out so I will have time
for other projects. However, since the list traffic has
grown lighter in recent weeks, I will stay tuned in for at
least a while longer, though I don't plan to be posting
very actively.

Mike and I have had some disagreements (and who on EM hasn't
disagreed with Mike at one time or another?) but I do
appreciate the fact that he puts considerable thought into
his opinions, and also that he has been contributing his
ideas on this topic for a long time. So thanks, Mike.

I do have this perl code I wrote to simulate the "majority
potential" of election methods. I should point out that MP
is a variation on/application of Copeland's Method. I don't
know if Copeland envisioned its use in this way. Anyway, I
can either post it to the list, or send it directly to
interested parties. It's over 1100 lines, about 30K bytes.
If I get three or more requests, I'll post it to the list;
if not, I'll send it to those requesting it only. Perl is a
scripting language that is mostly used on UNIX/Linux and
similar systems but is available (for free) for all popular
OSes that I am aware of. Of course, I make no guarantee
that the algorithms are correct, but I would welcome
anyone familiar with both perl and the methods in question
to review it and post corrections.

Richard