[EM] Majority Rule

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Mon Jul 30 16:14:05 PDT 2001

Anthony Simmons wrote:

>I'm not sure this is relevant, since I don't think I'm really
>addressing Craig's point, but from my perspective as an
>American, the Australian political process is very alien.
>According to the Australian constitution (which was actually
>an act of a foreign parliament, a strange enough notion to an
>American), the Queen is an absolute monarch, and must give
>her approval to all laws, which isn't quite how it works out
>in practice.  Tradition is palpable in determining the form
>of government, rather than having everything spelled out as
>in the U.S.  For example, there is no mention at all of the
>Prime Minister in the constitution.  But like I said, this
>probably isn't what Craig was referring to.

Yes, you're basically right.  The constitution refers to things like "the
Government", but not the PM and Cabinet.  Constitutionally, you could have a
government without a Prime Minister, but almost every regulation and motion
that governs how parliament operates would have to be changed.  This might
constitute hundreds or thousands of individual rules and regulations that
would have to be "re-made".

The whole monarchy thing is a bit silly, especially if the head-of-state has
only actually visited your country two or three times in the past fifty
years.  But don't blame me - I voted for the republic.