Majority Rule

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 22:34:47 PDT 2001

Mr. Cretney wrote-

I agree, however, that you shouldn't just take First Past the Post out
of the Westminster system and plonk in PR with everything else
unchanged.  Although, many countries have done essentially that, with
varying degrees of success.  The result is that parties have to work a
lot to form majority coalitions, in order to create a Westminster-like
situation of a majority government.
---

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the
same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary,
self-appointive, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of
tyranny.

James Madison in Federalist No. 47, para. 3.

D-  Parliamentary forms of government are at least two-thirds tyrannical.

Obvious remedy ---   separate nonpartisan nomination and election of the more
important executive officers --- who should be busy enough with public
business NOT to be messing around inside legislative bodies.

Any *controversial* bill in a P.R. legislative body will or will not be
enacted -- which can obviously be made a campaign issue in the NEXT public
election.

There is no need for an emergency election crisis because some bill does or
does not pass in a legislative body.

Public elections are obviously about making choices about public policies
(i.e. the public laws).

It is the current gerrymander (indirect minority rule) rigged nature of the
elections for the U.S.A. Congress, the 50 State legislatures, the Canada
House of Commons and the U.K. House of Commons that is a very major problem
in the world.

FFrom election-methods-list-request at eskimo.com  Mon Jul 30 15:45:13 2001